Thursday, January 10, 2008

Fun moments in homeschooling

This week in math we've been studying the area of parallelograms and triangles. So we're having a bit of trouble understanding that parallelograms are a bit different from a rectangle and have a different formula. So, with a whiteboard on her lap, I have her practice drawing parallelograms so she can show me how to get the base and height and calculate the area. In the meantime, I am on the computer searching for printable worksheets for her to practice with. I keep asking her if she is understanding it, and she says she thinks so, as she continues to draw. I take a break and go over to see her parallelograms. She had one parallelogram. From there she had drawn out a design for a bedroom including shelves on the walls, a bed, furniture, etc. Candace Olsen would have been proud. I guess next we can start learning about tangents (pun intended)? ;-)