Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wascally Wabbit

Our late garden is not looking too good.  I'm pretty sure the culprit looks like this: 

giant-rabbit2

Or at least if he wasn't this big a few weeks ago, he is now after all the green bean leaves he has eaten. 

What does one do about rabbits eating their garden?  Several people say, "Get a dog". 

2008 Summer128

Our dog Sam has apparently retired from her rabbit hunting days and is content to sleep on the deck all night while said rabbit is munching away at all my hard work.  Yes, she is part beagle.  She used to catch varmints in the yard and bring them to the house to show us her prize.

I suggested to my husband that we might be able to foster a dog displaced by the flood for a couple of months... maybe a younger one that still hunts rabbits.  He didn't go for it.  

In the meantime I have tried some last ditch efforts involving spreading hot sauce or pepper around the remaining leaves but I think I am too late.  I didn't realize what was going on until things were too far gone.  I guess I was relying too much on said dog. 

No comments: